Nail fungus is a common disease which commonly affects the toe nail. The disease can start out as a white or yellowish stain in the toe nail or finger nail(not common) and it will later progress by thickening and discoloring the entire nail turning it into a greenish or black color. The nail thereafter becomes brittle where pieces start to break off and eventually the nail comes off completely leaving the toes with very ugly fingers.
There are different classifications of nail fungus which may manifest themselves on ones toes. This fungus are generally caused by-
- Diminishing blood circulation
- Poor aeration especially when one wears socks that don’t absorb sweat properly.
- Having athletes foot
- Damaged nail resulting from a minor injury on the toe.
- Diabetes which weakens immune system and blood circulation.
- Walking barefoot especially in damp places.
- Working in humid conditions.
Besides visiting a doctor for proper diagnosis, there are other different ways one can treat this nail fungus on their own if the disease is not severe.
- Vinegar. Vinegar is one of the best known medications for these nail fungus. One should fill a basin with warm water with equal amount of the vinegar and soak the feet in the water for about 20 minutes. The feet should thereafter be dried thoroughly and this procedure repeated for some days. This remedy is known to work very well with nail fungus.
- Lavender oil/ tea tree oil/ thyme oil. One should rub the affected areas with any of the mentioned oil preferably twice a day; morning and in the evening for better results. These oils are antiseptics and antifungal hence they are known to deal with this problem.
- Listerine mouthwash. This mouthwash has antifungal values and if one soaks the affected areas twice a day, it will eliminate the fungus from the nails.
- Self hygiene is the basic value in avoiding the nail fungus by keeping the feet clean and dry at all the times.